SIAS – Internal Audit Progress report (SIAS)
Decision Maker: Audit Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The committee received a report of the Shared Internal Audit Service (SIAS) that provided an update on SIAS’s work on the audit plan for 2018/19 and outstanding recommendations.
The Client Audit Manager provided an update on data since the publication of the report. He assured the committee that all planned projects should be at the draft report stage by the end of March. There had been one request to extend the implementation date for one recommendation, which the committee would need to consider. He noted that there were far fewer outstanding recommendations compared to the last year or two. The report also contained information about the cancellation of the Commercial Strategy audit, which had been moved to 2019/20. The ten days set aside for the audit had been returned to contingency, some of which had been used to carry out additional testing of some of the existing key financial systems audits.
The Head of Finance thanked the committee for previously raising concerns about outstanding recommendations and requesting updates by the relevant officers.
The Chair noted that most of the recommendations were now being completed in time. He noted the outstanding recommendations regarding National Non-domestic rates and Council Tax.
The Client Audit Manager advised that officers had said they were confident the recommendations would be addressed in the indicated time, i.e. 31 March 2019. He said that he would be able to provide further information to the committee if required.
It was agreed that the Client Audit Manager would email the committee once he was able to provide a further update.
Following comments about the delays in the Tree Surveying recommendations from 2016/17, the Client Audit Manager advised that in December the committee had agreed to the deadline being extended to July 2019. It was agreed that officers would be asked to have completed the recommendations by the current deadline.
1. that the Internal Audit Progress Report for the period to 22 February 2019 be noted.
2. that the amendments to the Audit Plan be approved.
3. that the removal of implemented recommendations as set out in Appendix C be agreed.
4. that officers be informed that the Committee expects the tree Surveying recommendations to have been completed by the revised deadline.
5. that the change to the implementation date for one recommendation be agreed.
6. that the Client Audit Manager informs the committee of the progress in completing the Council Tax and National Non-domestic Rates audit recommendations with a 31 March 2019 target date prior to the next meeting.
Report author: Alison Scott
Publication date: 25/03/2019
Date of decision: 14/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 14/03/2019 - Audit Committee