Agenda and minutes
Venue: Town Hall, Watford
Contact: Jodie Kloss/Alan Garside Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apologies for absence/ committee membership
Apologies for absence had been received from Councillors Connal and Dychton, Grimston and Scudder.
Disclosure of interests (if any)
There were no disclosures of interest.
The minutes of the meeting held on 26 September 2018 to be submitted and signed.
The minutes of the meeting held on the 26 September 2018 were submitted and signed.
A report of the Head of Community and Environmental Services seeking the Licensing Committee’s approval to charge fees for the 2019/2020 financial year for some of the different licensing regimes administered by the Council.
The committee received a report of the Head of Community and Environmental Services seeking the committee’s approval to charge fees for the 2019/2020 financial year for some of the different licensing regimes administered by the Council. The Senior Licensing Officer introduced the report advising members of the decisions that had to be considered.
He reminded members of the general principles of setting licensing fees, of the restriction that needed to be considered when setting fees - and advised that where fees were calculated on a cost recovery basis; these had been raised by around 2.5% to reflect the cost of delivering the services. However, there were exceptions to the raising of fees in respect of taxi and private hire licences and animal welfare licensing.
He explained why the committee was being asked to consider delegating authority for setting fees for hackney carriage door signs, Disclosure and Barring Service and Vehicle Licensing Agency checks and the cost of licence badges and plates to the Head of Environmental Health and Licensing, in consultation with the Chair of the Licensing Committee.
In response to questions from members, the Environmental Health and Licensing Section Head and Senior Licensing Officer:
· Clarified that the new animal welfare licensing applied to private premises being run as a business and the regulations were designed to focus on the welfare of animals.
· Advised that dog walking was not licensed unless the service was provided with day care at a premises.
· Explained why a fee was charged for hackney carriage door signage and how this was calculated - and advised that there was no ability to increase prices around the provision of a service; rather in respect of consumables alone. Consequently, prices could be reduced. The Chair advised that members could be informed of any changes to fees where necessary.
· Explained how the fees for taxi and private hire vehicle licenses for electric vehicles were designed to encourage the use of these vehicles.
1. That the fees and charges set out at appendix 1 pages 1 and 2 for the financial year 2019/2020 be approved and that the fees and charges in appendix 1 page 3 and 4 be recommended to Council to approve.
2. To delegate to the Head of Environmental Health and Licensing, in consultation with the Chair of Licensing, the authority to increase or decrease charges in respect of provision of:
· Compulsory door signage for hackney carriages,
· Disclosure and Barring Service, and Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency checks,
· Licence badges and plates.
For the reasons outlined in sections 4.10 and 4.11.
The meeting started at 7.30 p.m.
The meeting started at 7.00 p.m.
and finished at 7.15 p.m.